Sunday, September 1, 2013

Rabbit rabbit! It's Day One of Vegan MOFO!

September 1 says "welcome to a Vegan Month of Food (MOFO)!"  And I say back to it, "Rabbit, rabbit!"

Again I'm feeling grateful to live in under-appreciated Richmond, California (and not simply because I love both the underdog and a bargain).  Richmond may have its issues, but the local dog park (Point Isabel) is right on the bay and features a dog wash and cafe where vegans have lots of nice options.  The cafe is aptly named "Sit and Stay Cafe" and looks out over the park,  the water and, on a clear day, the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco skyline.
Vegan choices include the "Herbivore Salad" with greens, onions, tomatoes, cukes, hummus and avocado, a red bean soup, soy lattes (made with locally roasted Catahoula Coffee), and a veggie club sandwich (just ask for no mayo).  They also have a seitan "Reuben" that can be made vegan if you ask for "no dressing, no cheese."  

I had the the veggie club while my dogs were getting a bath at the adjoining "Mudpuppies" shop.  

I love these guys - always very friendly and accommodating.  It's also great people and dog-watching territory.  I'm surprised not to see more sketchbook-wielding artists out here, since it seems like a gold mine for "free candid models"!

This week, I lost a 1/2 a pound and made some more progress on getting my house organized and de-cluttered.  I am trying to remind myself of the "rabbit and the tortoise" story and not get frustrated with this pace.  My old frame of mind was that change needed to be dramatic and brag-worthy, but I'm sure that was mostly my ego (and id??) talking.  But the truth is, the steady and slow progress is the only thing that is working, so I need to just keep on keeping on.

I was feeling a lot of self-induced pressure to have my life look a certain way by mid-September when I turn 50.  Something about this big milestone freaked me right the eff out!   Now that I'm just a couple weeks from there, I'm realizing it's all going to have to be fine if I'm not 100 pounds lighter by then since it's just not going to be reality.  As those wise friends of mine in my 12-step program say, "It's progress, not perfection!"  I really love Kelly Clark's take on that message

Rabbit, rabbit indeed.  Or should I say, "Tortoise, tortoise!"




No comments:

Post a Comment